Are you and your family hitting the road for the holidays? No matter what time of year, when you leave your home the last thing you want to worry about is a burglary.
Davis Lock & Safe has ten tips to help your belongings remain secure while you are on vacation.
- Don’t leave your home in the dark or flood it day and night in lights. Invest in timers to turn on and off lights, mimicking your normal routine to make it look like someone is active in the home.
- Install motion sensor lights on the outside front and back areas of your home. Make sure to fully light all entry points.
- Depending on how long and what time of year you are going to be gone; you may want to consider hiring someone to maintain your landscape. Overgrown lawns can be a calling card to cagey burglars.
- Nothing says come rob me (or we are just lazy people) like an overstuffed mailbox and a pile of old newspapers. Go online to usps.gov and hold your mail delivery and ask your newspaper to pause delivery.
- If your driveway will be totally bare, you may want to invite a neighbor to use it while you are gone. Having a car parked in the driveway is an effective deterrent to potential break in.
- Put away any thing that is outside your home that may entice an intruder or make it easier for them to break in such as tools and ladders. And never leave a key under the mat, a burglar will know all the key hiding places.
- Don’t post on your Facebook or tweet to your friends that you are going away. It is always surprising how many people do. Thieves use social networks looking for those types of opportunities.
- Lock up heirlooms and other valuables in a secured safe or bank safety deposit box.
- Intruders are not the only culprits that can invade your home. Millions of dollars in home fire and water damage occur every year when people are away. Set your home temperature to the low 60’s and open lower sink cabinets to prevent the pipes from busting in a freeze. Unplug all unnecessary appliances such as toasters and coffee makers.
- LOCK your home up tight. Make sure every window and door is securely locked. All entry locations should have high security deadbolt locking systems with reinforced heavy duty strike plates using long screws that penetrate into the studs.
Hopefully these tips will help you be able to relax while you are away. If you have concerns about the security of your locking systems on your home, call Davis Lock & Safe, Portland’s Trusted Locksmith. Happy Holiday!